From expanding ingredient lines and production capacity to celebrating a combined total of 200 years of operations, here are seven extraordinary achievements from across Tate & Lyle’s business in 2017.
We expanded capacity
With big ambitions to grow our business, it is only natural our global footprint should grow too.
- In Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), Tate & Lyle announced plans to more than double capacity of its non-GMO MALTOSWEET® Maltodextrin product line at its facility in Boleraz, Slovakia. The expansion will enable the company to meet growing customer demand for non-GMO maltodextrins.
In Asia Pacific (APAC), the threefold capacity expansion at our STA-LITE® Polydextrose facility in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, China came on line, while at the same time significantly enhancing manufacturing and quality processes at the facility.
We celebrated birthdays across our sites
Our business might be more than 150 years old, but when you add up the history of our sites our experience is so much greater! This year alone, we celebrated a combined 200 years’ of operations across just three of our sites.
- Our production facility in Koog aan de Zaan (“Koog”), The Netherlands celebrated 150 years of manufacturing. Watch the video of the sites history and celebrations.
- Moving to North America, our production facility in Sagamore Lafayette, Indiana celebrated 50 years. Watch the Sagamore video.
- Our Loudon, Tennessee, US site celebrated 35 years of operations.
We gave back to our local communities
Engaging with and supporting our local communities remains a key part of our company values. From food drives to nutritional education, our people have been helping to build stronger local communities across the world in many different ways.
- In Shanghai, China, we launched our ‘Healthy Eating, Happy Learning’ programme in partnership with the Shanghai Nutrition Society (NSS). Over two years, around 1,000 children will benefit from healthier lunches, nutrition and health education, and increased physical activity.
- In North America we sponsored the Northern Illinois Food Bank holiday meal programme, providing 30,000 meal boxes will be sent across 13 Northern Illinois counties. In just one morning’s shift, colleagues from our Hoffman Estates and Sycamore sites packed 10,801 pounds of food – providing 9,001 meals for families in need.
We further expanded our product portfolio
We continued to expand our product portfolio to meet our customers’ and consumers’ needs.
- We entered into an exclusive distribution partnership with Sweet Green Fields (SGF), one of the largest privately held, fully integrated global stevia ingredient companies, through which we provide customers with access to SGF’s exceptional line of stevia. Find out more about stevia-based sweetening solutions.
- We extended our DOLCIA PRIMA® Allulose line, with the launch of a crystalline variant DOLCIA PRIMA® Crystalline Allulose, which opens up new categories and applications such as tabletop sweeteners, dry beverage and meal replacement mixes, fat-based creams and chocolate confectionery. Find out more here.
- We received non-GMO Project verification for our oat ingredient products, 28 Stevia ingredients and 18 starches from our texturants range.
- We expanded our CLARIA® Functional Clean-Label Starches line with the introduction of two new instant starch products: CLARIA® Instant 340 and 360. The CLARIA® Instant line is ideal for applications such as salad dressings, instant gravies and soups, and pastry fillings and creams, in addition for the production of ‘clean-label’ foods.
We recognised and celebrated our extraordinary people
This year we rewarded our Star Performers, Inspiring Inventors and Unsung Heroes to name just a few, as part of our first ever Extraordinary People Awards ceremony in San Francisco, US.
We celebrated and rewarded talent from across our Company with a red carpet event and a glittering awards ceremony. Watch the video here.
We grew our Scientific Education and Outreach (SEO) Programme
This year, we continued to roll out our Global Nutrition's Science and Education Outreach Programme, increasing awareness of our ingredients, nutrition science, and expertise amongst health professionals, customer scientists, and academic researchers in the nutrition and food science arena.
Representatives from our Global Nutrition team's Scientific Education and Outreach (SEO) programme, ran SEO events across the globe from Buenos Aires, to Chicago and Singapore. Find out more here.
Our innovative ingredients were recognized by our industry
In China, we were awarded the "2017 Food and Beverage Industry – Ringier Technology Innovation Award", for the fifth year running, for our CLARIA® Bliss Functional Clean Label Tapioca Starches. Presented by Ringier Media, China, the award recognises products and technologies that made outstanding contributions to the Food and Beverage Industry.