The protection of our employees, the communities we live and work in, and the environment is foundational to our business.
The continuous improvement of the safety of our people and protecting our environment is critical for the way we do business, - Nick Hampton, Chief Executive
With over 4,000 staff working across a wide range of roles in countries all around the world, we know the importance of understanding all our risk, and maintaining a system that safeguards each and every individual. This is why, back in January 2018, we began a journey: a Journey to EHS (Environment, Health and Safety) Excellence (J2EE).
Our J2EE, as it is known, was developed to deliver and sustain Environment, Health and Safety Excellence across all Tate & Lyle locations worldwide, for all our employees and contractors.
Each Tate & Lyle location in over 30 countries is on its own unique journey to ensure the continued safety of its people, and ensuring we deliver EHS Excellence around the world, by drawing upon our history, knowledge of the business, industry models, and best practice. Each location then passes a series of criteria, or Tollgates, recognising the steps taken to mitigate and eliminate workplace risk.
Watch our leaders explain why they are passionate about this journey and our people and planet’s safety:
Last month we held a designated “EHS Week”, where we rally all our staff around the importance of achieving the highest standards on how we identify, manage, control and reduce everyday risks. Around the world. Here’s what our teams got up to!
- Our team in Singapore took part in a Fire Prevention, Safety and fire extinguisher demonstration. They were also given collapsible coffee mugs to reduce plastic waste, and masks to help pollution created by nearby deforestation.
- Our London, UK, headquarters marked EHS week with a lunchtime talk about ways in which Tate & Lyle are addressing employee safety around the world. They also took part in a CPR and defibrillator workshop.
- Employees in Koog, Netherlands, received a free healthy snack every day of their EHS week, as well as welcoming the Water Authorities to present on water management and past and present flood risks in their local area.
- Our sites in Heyworth and Findlay, Illinois, examined their own knowledge of health and wellness with an instructional quiz, as well as conducting fire extinguisher training. Meanwhile staff in Decatur, Illinois, conducted training on bomb threats/suspicious packages, and chemical releases.
- In Mold, Wales, our staff celebrated 1,000 days without a Lost Work Case incident, had free health checks from a local independent gym, received a day of free fruit and talks on health and nutrition, and a fitness bike cycle challenge.
- Our plant employees in Ossona, Italy, kept both minds and bodies active with a team game of bowls, suitable for every level of fitness, and fuelled it with a healthy ‘market stall’ of fresh fruit skewers, yoghurts and seeds.
- Staff in Dubai, UAE, focussed on the mental and physical wellbeing aspect of EHS, spending a day filled with yoga sessions, healthy meals, indoor cycling and a relaxing massage. Staff also received a travel first aid kit.