World Food Day is celebrated every year on 16 October with the aim to promote worldwide awareness and action for those who suffer from hunger, and for the need to ensure food security and nutritious diets for all.
At Tate & Lyle, our purpose is to improve lives for generations, and two key focus areas of our Community Programmes are health and hunger, with particular emphasis on children and young adults.
Over the last year, our employees have generously donated their time, talent and resources to help deliver over 300,000 nutritious meals to local communities around the world. Some of our highlights include:
1. This month, in Decatur, Illinois, we presented over $10,000 worth of employee contributions and 900 lbs of food to the WSOY Community Food Drive, one of the largest single-day food drives in the US.
2. In China, we collaborated with the Shanghai Nutrition Society to run the ‘Healthy Eating, Happy Learning’ programme. Running across two years, this programme sees 1,000 students from two schools benefit from healthier lunches as well as nutrition and health education. Learn more about this initiative here.
3. Colleagues from our Buenos Aires office in Argentina collected food and gifts to deliver Christmas joy to underprivileged families in rural communities.
4. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In 2017, we provided up to 21,000 nutritious breakfasts for students at Enders-Salk Elementary School in Schaumburg, Illinois. In 2018, we were proud to renew this partnership for another year.
5. Down in the Southern Hemisphere, staff in Brisbane, Australia, donated non-perishable food items to OzHarvest for Christmas. As the leading food rescue organisation in the country, OzHarvest has a wide network of charities that it distributes to and these donations helped ensure many families did not go hungry over the festive season.
6. In London, UK, colleagues raised over £2,500 for the Trussell Trust, a charity that provides over 400 food banks in the United Kingdom with donations to stop hunger and fight poverty.
Together with trusted partners, we are committed to making a positive impact in our local communities by helping them grow healthier and stronger – Improving Lives for Generations. For more information, visit our Community page.